Santa will arrive “down the chimney.” Is it clean?

Earlier today Vermont Modular posted a beautiful picture showing the nostalgia associated with sitting by the fireplace.  The picture’s caption said, “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”

There is another part of the fireplace that is often neglected.  Ask yourself this, “…when was the last time you had the chimney cleaned?”

If you are scratching your head and are basically not sure, you could easily be living with a dangerous situation.  Did you know that Chimney Fires can and often do lead to the entire house burning down? 

Far too many times people dismiss Chimney Fires because people know that the chimney is built out of material that can-not burn.  If your chimney can-not burn then why are chimney fires so dangerous?

Inside your chimney there can easily be creosote deposits from previous fires, bird nests, and a collection of other combustible substances that easily fall into the chimney.  Remember, it has been a year since you used it last.

A chimney fire sounds very much like a Blow Torch or a Jet Engine going off.  Chimney fires are very loud and scary!  The real danger is that most chimney fires burn so fast and so furiously that they reach temperatures easily of 2,000 F.  That excessive heat is enough to jump through the chimney and cause the surrounding lumber to ignite and potentially burn the house down.

It is time, right now, to have your chimney cleaned and done by a professional so that you know everyone in your family is safe this winter.  Don’t delay!

Many of our suggestions deal with energy efficiency, today’s deals with safety.

Share this post