As fall approaches and winter is around the corner it is that time of year when we close the windows and try to seal our homes from winter’s harsh weather. Before you go ahead and close everything up for the winter it might be time to consider moisture control.
Ask yourself a couple questions about winter in your home:
- Do you have water collecting towards the bottom of your windows?
- Have you ever had ice form on the glass of a window?
- Look up in the corners of the ceiling, have you ever see brown or black spots?
- In the bathroom, are there black spots here and there?
- Does your home smell damp and musty?
If you have any of these in your home then the humidity is too high or, there is too much moisture in the air. This moisture increases as winter progresses and the harm from excessive moisture is mold. Mold and spores grow but only where there is excessive moisture.
Mold will cause a wide variety of allergic reactions, none of which are good. Children are more susceptible to allergic problems than are adults.
If you have moisture collecting on windows that is a clear sign that you have too high a level of humidity in your home. If there are black spots that is probably mold starting to grow. If your home smells stale and stuffy it is probably caused by too much moisture and too little fresh air.
SOLUTION –install a Heat Recovery Ventilator or HRV, it will accomplish a lot in your home; the HRV will :
- Introduce fresh air
- Exhaust stale air outside
- Control the humidity
- Virtually eliminate the growth of mold
- Make your home smell fresh and clean
If you are interested we can send you more information about an HRV. Call us at 802.985-5855
Share our post with your Facebook friends.