Let’s take a trip back to the kitchen.

About a week ago we talked about a grease fire on the kitchen stove and how to extinguish the flames.  Check back to one of our earlier blog posts and check out the correct steps to take should if you have a grease fire at.  It really is important and deserves your close attention whether you live in Orange, Vermont or Orwell, Vermont, it is important!

We did more research and found that the overwhelming majority of house fires are caused by two things:

How about that kitchen fire?

The other day we talked about a grease and/or cooking oil fire in the kitchen and how very dangerous they can be.  I was surprised how quickly people commented on that blog post.  Obviously, there is sincere interest and concern.  Let’s face it the grease fire in the kitchen can easily end up with the home being destroyed so, the kitchen fire is critically important and extremely dangerous!

Danger lurks in your home!

Over many years we have worked with families that have lost their home in a fire.  Fortunately, in every case no one has ever been physically hurt. 

In today’s photograph you clearly see a rather large fire in a kitchen.  We don’t know but it seems probable that the fire erupted when a frying pan or something with a lot of grease and/or fat caught on fire.

Power Panel

Yesterday we took another look at the Electric Meter that is on the outside of your home.  We did get a call pointing out that occasionally the Electric Meter is not always mounted on the side of the house.  There are other available locations:

And you will also need a carpenter.

On your job right now you have the excavator guy outside with his machinery building all sorts of things.  And, one of those tasks is to dig a trench for the underground power so that the electrician can have the power company energize the house.  While the excavator and the electrician are busy, down in the basement the plumber is busily connecting all kinds of pipes so that the mechanicals of the house all work. 

Microwave Oven

Ok, so this is mildly crazy but we wanted to let you know that in your Custom Built home we will design your kitchen so as to accommodate the exact Microwave Oven that you want.  And you ask,,,,, "Why are you doing this today?"

Today, Wednesday December 6, 2017 is National Microwave Oven Day.  Honestly i thought this was nuts but our buddy Google confirmed it; today is the big day for Microwave ovens.  It is time to heat up your lunch on this festive day.  Did you smile?

Energy Star Appliances

On our Facebook page and Live videos, we have been talking a lot about what goes on in your kitchen.  One of the big things that consume energy are your kitchen appliances.

Did you realize that an Energy Star Rated appliance is apt to use about 40% less energy than a Non-Energy Star appliance?  Over the life time of that machine we are talking a significant amount of energy along with wasted money on your part.  It really makes a lot of sense to purchase only Energy Star appliances.

Heat Loss, the real enemy!

As everyone knows we have been talking a lot about Heat Loss, the process where heat escapes from your home out into the cold.  There are many ways that a well-built home loses heat but one of them is seldom thought about.

Lumber, the material that every home is built with, is an excellent conductor of heat.  Look at your kitchen pots and pans, I’ll bet 90% of them are aluminum.  The really good pots and pans also have a copper bottom.

Are your appliances Energy Star Rated?

A long time ago, 1992 to be exact, the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the EPA, created the Energy Star program.  Today appliances that are Energy Star Rated use upwards of 30% less energy.  This EPA program has been so successful that Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Taiwan, and the entire EU have all adopted the Energy Star program.